As chilly weather approaches, it is important to take some simple measures to protect your home through the winter months. Winterizing is generally a task that can be done inexpensively, but will make a big difference in how comfortable your home is and could also end up saving you money on energy bills. In fact, many effective house weatherproofing jobs are something that homeowners can complete without any professional help!
Easy Home Weatherproofing
Some small weatherproofing jobs require little to no “handiness”, but can make a real difference once cold weather hits your area. By doing these things before the temperatures drop or the snow falls, you’ll be saving yourself some hassle (and possibly some money, too!):
• Clean gutters and downspouts in mid-fall and double-check them before winter.
• Replace the filter in your furnace.
• Close any vents in your home that may have been opened for the warm weather.
• Disconnect hoses from outside faucets and turn off the water.
• Buy a snow shovel and other winter supplies before the messy weather hits.
• Keep extra water and canned food in storage just in case.
• Test your heating system, so that you know it will work properly when you need it.
• Give your deck a fresh coat of sealer to protect it from the winter elements.
Happy Holiday Season from all of us at DeTray’s Custom Housing!
Jonathan Williams, Sale Consultant